Master of Arts (Christian Studies)
2Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
8Max Years Part Time
Cricos code: 054694G (English)
- Introduces students to the sources and content of the Christian story and message, and provides training which emphasises application of this story to life in the world, including professional and vocational life. It is intended to enable students to apply a Christian perspective and commitment to their life in the world, including their professional and vocational life. The course will include an introduction to the research principles and methods applicable to the specialised study of Christian Studies.
- The course will be based on the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated in two main fields:
- Biblical Studies (OT, NT, BB)
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
- It will also provide an approach to synthesising this understanding with particular occupational and/or life interested in integrated studies.
- Through elective units students can:
- Develop understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History
- Develop particular practical ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice (EM, PC, DE)
192 credit points over 2 years (F/T)
48cps Level 8 units:
- 24cps from the following units: OT001-812, OT002-812, OT003-812, BB001-812, BB002-812, BB003-812, NT001-812, NT002-812, NT003-812
- 12cps in CH / TH units at Level 8
- 12cps units at Level 8 from BB / OT / NT / TH / CH
144cps Level 8-9 units:
- 24cps Level 8 or above in CH and / or TH units
- 12cps Level 8 or above in IN coursework units
- At least 84cps Level 8 or above elective units
- Level 8 Integration substantive piece:
- 12cp Integrative Level 8 Project (IN200-812); OR
- 12cp Level 8 coursework unit, OR
- Defer enrolment by choosing to enrol in a longer (24/36cp) Level 9 project at the end of the course.
- Level 9 Integrative Project or advanced independent reading unit:
- 12cp Integrative Level 9 Project (IN200-912); OR
- 24cp Integrative Level 9 Project (IN200-924); OR
- 36cp Integrative Level 9 Project (IN200-936); OR
- a 12cps advanced independent reading unit focussing on Integration (IN201-912).
Units in this course are completed at Level 8 and above, including at least 60cps at Level 9.
- Graduates of an ACT BMin or BTh or equivalent are eligible to receive ungraded advanced standing (block credit) for 48cps (NA000-048), with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9. Candidature periods will be reduced according to the volume of advanced standing granted.
- Graduates of an AQF level 8 or 9 award in Ministry or Theology are eligible to receive ungraded advanced standing (block credit) for up to 96cps based on volume of the studies in the previous award (ie graduates of a Graduate Certificate would receive NA000-048, graduates of a Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree would receive NA000-096), with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9. Candidature periods will be reduced according to the volume of advanced standing granted.
Academic Qualifications: Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students at selected delivery locations. See here for more information.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date specialized knowledge and understanding of ‘Christian Studies’, including the theological, spiritual and ethical implications
2. Explain the interaction between Christian Studies and at least one other non-theological field of knowledge and understanding or life interest
3. Discuss the research principles and methods used to investigate the relationship of Christian Studies with other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding or life interest
Inquiry and Analysis
4. Utilize and reflect upon prior knowledge and experience in private and professional life, and use and reflect critically on specialized Christian Studies knowledge, ideas and practice
Problem Solving and Integration
5. Synthesize Christian Studies with at least one other non-theological field of knowledge and understanding or life interest, using a wider range of sources and contexts
6. Construct evidence based perspectives on specialized issues in Christian Studies and other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding from a wider range of sources and contexts
7. Plan and execute a research project by asking questions and identifying problems and using appropriate research principles and methods for relating Christian Studies with another field of knowledge and understanding or life interest
8. Present specialized ideas, knowledge and principles in Christian Studies and other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding to, and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
9. As leader and in groups, apply specialised knowledge and understanding of Christian Studies in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement With the World
10. Bring enhanced professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
11. Show readiness for research at a higher level in capacity for wide reading, analytical rigour and independent thinking
$10,560 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2022 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Maximum concurrent enrolment load: 60cps
- There is a pre-requisite for Level 9 units: 48cps Level 8
Approved for delivery at
Approval to deliver a course does not guarantee that this course will be available in a given year – please contact a college about current availability.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Chinese Theological College AustraliaLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more