Graduate Certificate of Divinity
0.5Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
Course code: GCDIV20
2Max Years Part Time
Cricos code: 076017G (English); 113291M (Chinese)
An AQF Level 8 award for advanced knowledge, professional skills and/or a pathway to further learning, the Graduate Certificate of Divinity is designed to enhance the Graduate Attributes in students.
It is intended to be a general purpose award to provide students who are already graduates with an opportunity to undertake study at an advanced level of selected units in the teaching departments of Bible and Languages, Christian Thought and History and Ministry and Practice. It will serve either as an introduction to the study of Theology and Ministry by allowing students to sample units from a range of disciplines or as a means of developing a subject specialism by allowing students to select units from one or two disciplines.
48 credit points over 0.5 years (F/T)
48 credit points from any units in the ASCED field of Religious Studies (091703) at level 8 or above.
Units in this course are completed at Level 8 and above.
Note: All ACT units are in the ASCED field of Religious Studies (091703)
- Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
- Alternative admission to the Graduate Certificate of Divinity or the Graduate Certificate of Pastoral Care for Mental Health on individual application to the ACT Registrar including 5 years’ ministry or relevant industry experience (paid or unpaid); and written support of a referee who holds a relevant Masters degree from the ACT or equivalent; and successful completion of a previous qualification at AQF Level 5 or above; and being at least 25 years of age. Requirements for demonstration of academic suitability is determined at the discretion of the ACT Registrar, who will only admit applicants on a case by case basis who in the ACT Registrar’s belief are likely to be successful in Level 8 units. The principles considered in assessing an application under this clause include:
- accommodating student diversity by including the under-representation and/or disadvantage experienced by identified groups and creating equivalent opportunities for academic success regardless of students’ backgrounds; and
- specific consideration for the recruitment, admission, participation and completion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples; and
- ensuring that admitted students have the academic preparation needed to participate in their intended study, and no known limitations that would be expected to impede their progression and completion.
On successful completion of the Graduate Certificate of Divinity or the Graduate Certificate of Pastoral Care for Mental Health under this admission pathway, students can articulate to other postgraduate courses which normally would have required the completion of a bachelor degree for admission.
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students at selected delivery locations. See here for more information.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date advanced knowledge and understanding of selected fields of ‘Divinity’
2. Examine the biblical, theological and ministry foundations of Divinity
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesize advanced Divinity scholarship in inquiry-based learning
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on advanced Divinity issues by using recognized source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions
5. Present advanced Divinity ideas, knowledge and principles to, and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. As leader and in groups, apply advanced understanding of Divinity in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement With the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
8. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian ministry
$11,904 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2024 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
Approved for delivery at
Approval to deliver a course does not guarantee that this course will be available in a given year – please contact a college about current availability.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Chinese Theological College AustraliaLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Reformed Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity College QueenslandLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more