NT202 - The Early New Testament Church
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
NT240 if enrolled simultaneously or completed prior to commencement in NT202
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The history, themes, theology and narrative of the Book of Acts
- The contents, themes and theology of major New Testament Epistles
Be able to
- Outline: a) the history, themes and theology presented in the Book of Acts; and b) the contents, themes and theology of selected New Testament Epistles
- Trace key developments and emerging patterns in the beginnings and expansion of the early church
- Describe the issues confronted by and teaching of selected New Testament Books
Be in a position to
- Use perspectives from ‘The Early New Testament Church’ for personal understanding and in teaching and ministry contexts
A study of the historical background and contents of the New Testament, with special reference to the birth and growth of Christianity in the Apostolic age.
Section A: The Apostolic Age, with special reference to the birth and growth of Christianity
- The birth and nature of the Christian community in Jerusalem (Acts 1–6).
- Significant events and issues in the spread of Christianity (Acts 7–13).
- The life and mission of the Apostle Paul.
Section B: The Epistles
- Romans, Galatians and the Thessalonian correspondence.
- Paul’s relations with the church at Corinth; the Corinthian Epistles.
- Captivity Epistles and the Pastorals.
- Hebrews and the Catholic Epistles.
Note: Both Section A and Section B should be weighted at not less than 25% of the content and assessment.
Barnett, P., Jesus and the Rise of Early Christianity: A History of New Testament Times (Downers Grove: IVP, 1999).
Fernando, A., Acts (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998).
Green, M., Thirty Years that Changed the World: The Book of Acts for Today. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004).
Longenecker, R. N., “Acts,” in Expositor’s Bible Commentary, (rev., vol. 10, 665-1102; Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007).
Marshall, I. H. and D. Peterson (eds), Witness to the Gospel: The Theology of Acts (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Martin, R. P., New Testament Foundations: A Guide for Christian Students Vol. 2: The Acts. The Epistles. The Apocalypse (Rev. Ed.; Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 1999).
Witherington, B. III., New Testament History: A Narrative Account. (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001).
Marshall, I. H., The Acts of the Apostles (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1980).