OT430 - The Pentateuch (Hebrew text)
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
LA003A and LA003B
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The contents and structure of the Pentateuch, with special reference to the selected books
- The themes and theological teaching of the Pentateuch
- The major issues in contemporary study of the Pentateuch
- The nature and methods of Old Testament exegesis
- Selected chapters of the Hebrew text of the Pentateuch
- The relevance of the Pentateuch to contemporary ministry
Be able to
- Use sources such as lexicons, grammars, textual analyses, biblical and theological dictionaries, commentaries and on-line resources
- Evaluate textual variants and issues in the history of the text
- Recognise literary form, genres and structure
- Assess matters relating to authorship, date and purpose
- Utilise the historical, religious, social and cultural contexts
- Relate passages to their literary context
- Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases
- Trace inter-textual references and allusions
- Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings
- Translate and exegete a selection of chapters from the Hebrew text of the Pentateuch
Be in a position to
- Exegete the Hebrew text of the Pentateuch for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts
- Integrate perspectives from the Pentateuch into biblical interpretation and Christian thinking
- Apply the teaching of the Pentateuch to situations and issues in contemporary Christianity and society
- The theology of the Pentateuch with special reference to one or two of the five books of the Pentateuch, especially such themes as covenant, law, land, grace, holy war, people of God, blessing and cursing.
- Translation and exegesis of the Hebrew text of Genesis 1—3 and Deuteronomy 5—7, or comparable passages, drawn from the books of the Pentateuch.
Theological Themes and Traditions
Alexander, T. D. and D. W. Baker (eds), Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2003).
Alexander, T. D., From Paradise to Promised Land (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Balentine, S. E., The Torah’s Vision of Worship (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1999).
Barker, P. A., The Triumph of Grace in Deuteronomy (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2004).
Hamilton, V., Handbook on the Pentateuch (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2005).
Wenham, G., Exploring the Old Testament Vol. I; The Pentateuch (London: SPCK, 2003).
Wolf, H., An Introduction to the Old Testament Pentateuch (Chicago: Moody Publisher, 2007).
Alter, R., Genesis: Translation and Commentary (New York: Norton, 1996).
Brett, M., Genesis (London: Taylor & Francis, 2007).
Brueggemann, W., Deuteronomy (Nashville: Abingdon, 2001).
Christensen, D. L., Deuteronomy 1:1-21:9 and 21:10-34:12 (2 Vols; Dallas, TX: Word, 2001–2002).
Clements, R. E., Deuteronomy (Sheffield: JSOT, 1989).
Clements, R. E., ‘Deuteronomy’ in The New Interpreter’s Bible, Vol.II (Nashville: Abingdon, 1998).
Fretheim, T. E., ‘Genesis’ in The New Interpreter’s Bible (Vol. I; Nashville: Abingdon, 1994).
Hamilton, V., The Book of Genesis Chapters 1–17 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990).
Hartley, J. E., Genesis (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2000).
McConville, J. G., Deuteronomy (Leicester: Apollos, 2002).
McKeown, J., Genesis (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008).
Nelson, R. D., Deuteronomy (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2002).
Rogerson, J. W., Genesis 1–11 (Sheffield: JSOT, 1990).
Sarna, N., Genesis (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1989).
Turner, L. A., Genesis (Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 2000).
Waltke, B., Genesis (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001).
Weinfeld, M., Deuteronomy 1–11 (New York: Doubleday, 1991).
Wenham, G., Genesis 1–15 (Waco, TX: Word, 1987).
Westermann, C., Genesis 1–11 (Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1984).
Wright, C., Deuteronomy (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1996).
Christ College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Malyon Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Malyon Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College04/02/201931/03/201921/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire