NT432 - The Epistle to the Hebrews (Greek Text)
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
LA004A and LA004B
NT428/438 if Hebrews has been taken.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The Epistle to the Hebrews: authorship, date, destination
- The themes and theology of Hebrews
- The Greek text of Hebrews
- The nature and methods of New Testament exegesis
Be able to
- Use sources such as lexicons, theological dictionaries, grammars, textual analyses, commentaries and on-line resources
- Identify the authorship, date and purpose
- Translate into English
- Evaluate textual variants and issues in the history of the text
- Recognise literary form, genre, structure and rhetorical conventions
- Utilize the historical, social and cultural contexts
- Assign passages to the literary and canonical contexts
- Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases in the contexts of the epistle and other epistles
- Trace inter-textual references and allusions
- Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings
- Translate and Exegete the Greek text of Hebrews
Be in a position to
- An introduction to Hebrews, including questions of authorship, date, destination.
- The theology of the epistle, including such themes as the old and new covenants, sacrifice, perfection, apostasy, the use of the Old Testament, Christology, cross and ascension, and eschatology
- Translation and exegesis of the Greek text of Hebrews 1–8, 12.
Dunnill, J., Covenant and Sacrifice in the Letter to the Hebrews (Cambridge: CUP, 1993).
Hagner, D. A., Encountering the Book of Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Schenck, K. L., Understanding the Book of Hebrews (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2003).
Trotter, A. H., Interpreting the Epistle to the Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997).
Ellingworth, P., The Epistle to the Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993).
Guthrie, G. H., Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998).
Koester, C. R., Hebrews (New York: Doubleday, 2001).
Lane, W. L., Hebrews: A Call to Commitment (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1985).
Lane, W. L., Hebrews (2 Vols; Dallas, TX: Word, 1991).
Pfitzner, V. C., Hebrews (Nashville: Abingdon, 1997).
Stedman, R. C., Hebrews (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 1992).
Presbyterian Theological College15/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire