NT422 - The Epistle to the Hebrews (English Text)
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
NT428/438 if Hebrews has been taken.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The Epistle to the Hebrews: authorship, date, destination
- The themes and theology of Hebrews
- The English text of Hebrews
- The nature and methods of New Testament exegesis
Be able to
- Use sources such as biblical and theological dictionaries, commentaries and on-line resources
- Recognise literary form, genre, structure and rhetorical conventions
- Compare and contrast translations
- Evaluate matters relating to authorship, date and purpose
- Utilize the historical, social and cultural contexts
- Assign passages to their literary and canonical contexts
- Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases in the context of the epistle
- Trace inter-textual references and allusions
- Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings
- Exegete the English text of Hebrews
Be in a position to
- Exegete the text of Hebrews for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts
- Integrate perspectives from Hebrews into biblical interpretation and Christian thinking
- Apply the teaching of Hebrews to situations and issues in contemporary Christianity and society
- An introduction to Hebrews, including questions of authorship, date, destination.
- The theology of the epistle, including such themes as the old and new covenants, sacrifice, perfection, apostasy, the use of the Old Testament, Christology, cross and ascension, and eschatology
- Exegesis of the English text of Hebrews 1–13
Dunnill, J., Covenant and Sacrifice in the Letter to the Hebrews (Cambridge: CUP, 1993).
Hagner, D. A., Encountering the Book of Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Schenck, K. L., Understanding the Book of Hebrews (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2003).
Trotter, A. H., Interpreting the Epistle to the Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997).
Guthrie, G. H., Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007).
Johnson, L. T., Hebrews (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2006).
Koester, C. R., Hebrews (New York: Doubleday, 2001).
Lane, W. L., Hebrews: A Call to Commitment (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1985).
Lane, W. L., Hebrews (2 Vols; Dallas, TX: Word, 1991).
Pfitzner, V. C., Hebrews (Nashville: Abingdon, 1997).
Melbourne School of Theology01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - WCIS29/04/201909/05/201914/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Presbyterian Theological College15/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019On CampusEnquire