NT301 - Jesus and the Gospels
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The contents, themes and character of the canonical Gospel traditions
- The life and ministry of Jesus
Be able to
- Explain the influence of the historical, socio-cultural, religious and political setting of first-century Palestine as the context of Jesus’ life and ministry
- Analyse the distinctive features of the four Gospels and the interrelationships between them
- Discuss: a) the life and identity of Jesus; and b) the message and ministry of Jesus
Be in a position to
- Integrate perspectives from ‘Jesus and the Gospels’ with their other theological studies
- Apply perspectives from ‘Jesus and the Gospels’ to current issues in Christian life and thought
- Context and setting:
The historical, socio-cultural, religious and political setting of first century Palestine
- One Gospel and four Gospels:
- A detailed study of one or more gospels
- Distinctive features of the Gospels
- The interrelationship of the Gospels
- The identity and life of Jesus:
- The designations and titles of Jesus
- The passion and resurrection narratives
- The message and ministry of Jesus:
- The Kingdom of God in the proclamation of Jesus
- The significance and interpretation of the parables
- The ethics of Jesus, including the Sermon on the Mount
- The miracles of Jesus and their significance
- Reflection (through a-d) on the significance of Jesus Christ for contemporary life and ministry
Bauckham, R., Jesus and the Eyewitnesses (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008).
Blomberg, C. L., Jesus and the Gospels (Leicester: Apollos, 2002 repr).
Bockmuehl, M., The Cambridge Companion to Jesus (Cambridge: CUP, 2001).
Bock, D. L., Studying the Historical Jesus: A Guide to Sources and Methods (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Borg, M. J., Jesus (New York: Happer One,2008).
Hultgren, A. J., The Parables of Jesus: A Commentary (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000).
Meier, J. P., A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus (2 Vols, New York: Doubleday, 1991, 1994).
Seccombe, D., The King of God’s Kingdom: A Solution to the Puzzle of Jesus (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2002).
Witherington, B., What They Have Done With Jesus? (New York: Happer One, 2007).
Christ College22/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - ACC01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College22/07/201931/08/201925/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Vose Seminary18/11/201909/12/201921/02/2020On CampusEnquire