NT002-712 - The Early New Testament Church
2,679 Standard Tuition Fee
Category foundational unitA
new testamentUnit Discipline
Prior to 2020, this unit content was delivered under the unit code NT502. Unit exclusions: It is not permitted to enrol in this unit concurrently with NT003-512 or NT003-712.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
B. Be able to
1. Discuss: a) the history, themes, theology and narrative presented in the Book of Acts; and b) the contents, themes and theology of selected New Testament Epistles
3. Present Critical evidence-based perspectives on the themes and theology of the Book of Acts and of the selected New Testament Epistles
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying perspectives from ‘The Early New Testament Church’ to contemporary Christian living and ministry contexts
The beginnings and expansion of the church as reflected in the New Testament documents, with special attention to the Acts of the Apostles. Topics to be covered include:
1. The Jerusalem church.
2. Early Christian preaching.
3. Stephen and the Hellenists.
4. The Pauline mission and churches.
5. The Council of Jerusalem.
6. Schism, heresy and external threat in the early church.
The main issues confronted in and the teaching of at least seven major New Testament epistles.
Note: Both Section A and Section B should be weighted at not less than 25% of the content and assessment.
This unit's indicative bibliography is currently being revised. Students should contact their home college for further details at the time of taking this unit.
Fitzmyer, J. A., The Acts of the Apostles (New York: Anchor, Doubleday, 1997).
Hengel, M., Acts and the History of Earliest Christianity (repr; Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2003).
Marshall, I. H. and D. Peterson (eds), Witness to the Gospel: The Theology of Acts (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Schnabel, E. J., Early Christian Mission, Vol 2: Paul and the Early Church (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2004).
Winter, B. W. (Gen. Ed.), Book of Acts in its First Century Setting (6 Vols; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993-1996).
Witherington, B., The Acts of the Apostles: A Socio–Rhetorical Commentary (Carlisle: Paternoster, 1998).
Woods, E. J., The ‘Finger of God’ and Pneumatology in Luke–Acts (Sheffield: SAP, 2001).
Wright, N.T. and M. Bird. The New Testament in its World. Rapids: Zondervan, 2019
Goulder, M., St Peter Verses St Paul: A Tale of Two Missions (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1995).
Hemer, C. J., The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History (ed. By C.H. Gempf; Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1990).
Spencer, F. S., The Portrait of Philip in Acts: A Study of Roles and Relations (Sheffield: JSOT, 1992).