LA003B - Biblical Hebrew B
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Students must have completed LA003A.
Students cannot also take LA001 with or after this unit.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- Hebrew grammar and syntax through completing one standard grammar of Biblical Hebrew.
- About 200-400 words of Hebrew vocabulary.
- Grammatical issues that influence translation and the meaning of the text.
Be able to
- Apply grammatical discussions of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament.
- Translate about three chapters of the Hebrew Old Testament into English.
- Discuss translation issues that influence exegesis.
- Use aids to understanding the Hebrew Bible such as lexicons, grammars, concordances, commentaries and software tools.
Be in a position to
- Continue translation of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament.
- Identify the interplay between translation and interpretation.
- Commence exegesis of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament.
Typical areas to be covered would include:
- An introduction to Biblical Hebrew through completion of a standard Hebrew grammar (e.g., Lambdin, Ross, Weingreen).
- Translation of selected chapters of the Old Testament in the light of the listed aims (e.g., Genesis 1–3, or passages of comparable length and difficulty).
Note: This unit is delivered at undergraduate degree level, and is equivalent to the ACT’s 300 level units. It attracts the 300 level unit fee.
(For reference works and recommended readings refer to LA003A)
Kittel, R. (ed.), Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (Stuttgart: Württemberg Bible Society, 1990).
Schenker, A., et al., Biblia Hebraica Quinta (Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2004- ) (fascicles appearing regularly).
Christ College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College11/03/201915/08/201908/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College22/07/201931/08/201925/11/2019On CampusEnquire