EM712-6 - Cross Cultural Church Planting
3,420 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- Biblical and theological principles that inform church planting
- Contemporary models of and approaches to church planting across cultures
- Stages in the cross-cultural church planting process and their accompanying questions and issues
Be able to
- Evaluate approaches to church planting in specific cultural contexts
- Research a potential context for church planting using demographic data and ethnographic methods
- Design a strategy for church planting in a specific cross-cultural context
Be in a position to
- Communicate a vision and rationale for church planting in specific contexts
- Implement a strategy for planting churches in particular regions or communities
Ott, C., and Wilson, G., Global Church Planting: Biblical Principles and Best Practices for Multiplication (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011).
Comiskey, J., Planting Churches that Reproduce: Starting a Network of Simple Churches (Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2008).
Garrison, D., Church Planting Movements: How God is Redeeming a Lost World (Midlothian, VA: WIGTake Resources, 2012).
Hesselgrave, D., Planting Churches Cross-culturally: North America and Beyond. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2000).
Hibbert, R., “The Place of Church Planting in Mission: Towards a Theological Framework.” Evangelical Review of Theology 33(2009): 316-331.
Johnson, J., We are Not the Hero: A Missionary’s Guide for Sharing Christ, Not a Culture of Dependency (Sisters, Ore: Deep River Books, 2012).
O’Connor, P., Reproducible Pastoral Training: Church Planting Guidelines from the Teachings of George Patterson (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2006).
Payne, J.D., Discovering Church Planting: An Introduction to the Whats, Whys, and Hows of Global Church Planting (Colorado Springs, Colo.: Paternoster, 2009).
Sinclair, D., A Vision of the Possible: Pioneer Church Planting in Teams. (Waynesboro, GA: Authentic Media, 2006).
Smith, E., Church Planting by the Book (Fort Washington, PA: CLC Publications, 2015).
Smith, S., and Kai, Y., T4T: A Discipleship Rerevolution (Monument, CO: WIGTake Resources, 2011).
Watson, D., and Watson, P., Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 2014).
Woodford, B., Master Plan: Biblical Foundations for Living Churches (Taupiri, New Zealand: EastWest College of Intercultural Studies, 2007).