OT205 - Genesis, Deuteronomy, Samuel
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The contents and structure of two of Genesis, Deuteronomy, 1 Samuel, and 2 Samuel
- The themes and theological teaching of the selected books
- The nature and basic methods of Old Testament exegesis
Be able to
- Use sources such as biblical and theological dictionaries, commentaries and on-line resources
- Recognise literary form and structure
- Identify matters relating to authorship, date and purpose
- Describe the historical, religious and socio-cultural background
- Relate the text to the literary and canonical contexts
- Comment on the meaning of significant words and phrases
- Outline the contents and theology
- Exegete the English text of a selection of passages from the selected books
Be in a position to
- Exegete the English text of the selected books for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts
- Genesis 1–4, 6, 8–9, 11
- Deuteronomy 5–8, 12, 16–18
- 1 Samuel 1–4, 7–12
- 2 Samuel 1–2, 5–7, 15–18, 24
Candidates will complete two of 1, 2, 3, 4. It is acceptable to complete 3 &4, (1 Samuel and 2 Samuel) and not take Genesis or Deuteronomy.
Hamilton, V., The Book of Genesis Chaps 1–17 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990).
Hartley, J. E., Genesis (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2000).
Mathews, K. A., Genesis 1 – 11:26 (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1996).
Rogerson, J., Genesis 1–11 (Sheffield: JSOT, 1991).
Wenham, G. J., Genesis 1–15 (Waco, TX: Word, 1987).
Harman, A., Deuteronomy (Fearn: Christian Focus, 2001).
Merrill, E., Deuteronomy (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1994).
Woods, E. J., Deuteronomy (Downers Grove: IVP, 2011).
Wright, C., Deuteronomy (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1996).
1 and 2 Samuel
Baldwin, J., 1 and 2 Samuel (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 1988).
Bergen, R., 1, 2 Samuel (Nashvile: Broadman & Holman, 1996).
Davis, D. R., 1 Samuel (Fearn: Christian Focus, 2000).
Davis, D. R., 2 Samuel (Fearn: Christian Focus, 1999).
Evans, M., 1 and 2 Samuel (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2000).
Gordon, R. P., 1 and 2 Samuel (Sheffield: JSOT, 1987).