TH005-712 - Foundational Christian Beliefs
2,679 Standard Tuition Fee
Category foundational unitA
This unit may not be undertaken by a student who has completed any one of TH001, TH002, TH003, TH004, or TH022
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
B. Be able to
2. Evaluate the creeds as statements of Christian belief
C. Be in a position to
1. Apply perspectives from ‘Foundational Christian Beliefs’ to contemporary Christian life and ministry practice as a reflective practitioner
This unit introduces students to essential beliefs of the Christian faith alongside one of its classic creeds, confessions, or catechisms. Accordingly, the list of topics given below may be adjusted and adapted by the unit coordinator in line with the topics covered in the creed/confession/catechism chosen for study (with the unit field moderator being advised when the UQAF is submitted, of any differences in the topics covered from those listed below).
1. Why beliefs (‘doctrines’) matter, and the purpose of creeds and catechisms.
2. The doctrine of the Word of God (including revelation, inspiration and illumination).
3. The doctrine of God (including unity and Trinity).
4. The doctrine of Creation (including creation ex nihilo, Creation’s goodness, and humanity).
5. The doctrine of the Fall (including original and actual sin).
6. The doctrine of Christ (including his person: deity, humanity & hypostatic union; and work: death, bodily resurrection & ascension).
7. The doctrine of Salvation (including grace, regeneration, conversion, justification and sanctification).
8. The doctrine of the Church (including its nature, attributes and means of grace).
9. Eschatology (including the second coming, general resurrection, last judgment and final states).
In completing this unit, alongside contemporary resources such as those listed below, students should read and study one major historical creed, confession, or catechism, such as: the Apostles Creed, Nicene Creed, Geneva Catechism, Anglican Catechism, Heidelberg Catechism, Westminster Shorter Catechism, Baptist Catechism (1693), the Thirty-Nine Articles, the Westminster Confession of Faith, or the London Baptist Confession (1689).
Allen, M. & Swain, S. (eds), Christian Dogmatics: Reformed Theology for the Church Catholic (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2016).
Allison, G. R., Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine (Zondervan, 2011).
Ames, W., The Marrow of Theology, tr. J. Dykstra Eusden (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997).
Barrett, M. (ed), Reformation Theology: A Systematic Summary (Wheaton: Crossway, 2017).
Barth, K. Credo (Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2005).
Barth, K., Dogmatics in Outline (London: SCM, 2001).
Boston, T., A Complete Body of Divinity upon the Shorter Catechism: Volume 1-3 (London: William Baynes, 1812).
Bray, G., Creeds, Councils and Christ (Fearn: Mentor, 1997).
Erickson, M. J., Christian Theology (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2nd ed. 2003).
Frame, J., Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology (Phillipsburg NJ: P&R, 2006).
Grudem, W., Systematic Theology (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2007).
Heidegger, J. The Concise Marrow of Theology (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2018).
Horton, M. Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrines for Christian Disciples (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013).
Horton, M. S., The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims Along the Way (Zondervan, 2011).
McGrath, A., Christian Theology: An Introduction (London: Wiley-Blackwell 3rd ed. 2006).
Migliore, D., Faith with Understanding (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2nd ed. 2004).
Milne, B., Know the Truth (Downers Grove IL: IVP, 3rd ed. 2009).
Oden, T. C., Classic Christianity: A Systematic Theology (New York: Harper Collins, 2009).
Rae, M., Christian Theology: The Basics (Abingdon: Routledge, 2015).
Seitz, C. R. (ed.), Nicene Christianity: The Future for a New Ecumenism (Grand Rapids: Baker-Brazos, 2002).
Tan, C., The Spirit at the Cross: Exploring a Cruciform Pneumatology (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2020).
Treier, D., Introducing Evangelical Theology (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2019).
Ursinus, Z., Commentary of Dr Zacharias Ursinus on the Heidelberg Catechism (Phillipsburg NJ: P&R, 1985).
Van der Kooi, C. & Van den Brink, G., Christian Dogmatics: An Introduction (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2017).
Watson, T., A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons Upon the Westminster Assembly’s Catechism (London: Banner of Truth, 1957).
Wolleb, J., The Abridgement of Christian Divinitie (London: T. Mabb, 1660).