RE - Religious Education
1,000 Standard Tuition Fee
Section A: Education
- What it is, its aims, its role in the community.
- Role of the teacher.
- Theories of learning.
Section B: Education in the Christian Faith
- Its objectives; its scope; Christian teachers; the role of the congregation; relation to worship.
- The use of the Bible.
- Unplanned learning: what it is; home, church, community as areas of unplanned learning.
- Religious and educational issues involved in questions of baptism, confirmation and admission to communion, participation in worship.
Section C: Age groups
- Adults: Features of adult learning, motivation, continuing education.
The adults as learners in their own right, and not merely in order that they may teach others.
Significance of adult education for the education of other groups in the life of the parish.
Methods of learning: group discussions, buzz groups, participation training, action-projects, seminars, conferences.
- Youth: Features of adolescence, motivation for learning, role in congregation, youth worship patterns.
Methods of learning: assignment, action-projects, group discussion, camps and conferences, role of significant adults.
- Children: importance of environmental and physical factors, the role of the teacher, readiness for learning.
Evaluation of Sunday Schools, day school instruction, alternative means of religious education for children.
Methods of learning: stories, visual aids, questioning, creative activities, drama projects, excursions.
Various Teacher’s Manuals published by Joint Board of Christian Education.
Anthony, M. J. (ed.), Christian Education Foundations for the Twenty-first Century (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001).
Bridger, F., Children Finding Faith – Exploring a Child’s Response to God (London: Scripture Union, 2000).
Pazmino, R. W., Foundational Issues in Christian Education (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008).
Tye, K. B., Basics of Christian Education. (St Louis: Chalice Press, 2000).
Westerhoff, J. H., Will Our Children Have Faith? (Harrisburg; Toronto: Moorehouse; Anglican Book Centre, 2000).
Wilhoit, J., Christian Education and the Search for Meaning (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Baker,1992).
Wilhoit, J. & L. Ryken, Effective Bible Teaching (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000).