PC402 - Foundations of Pastoral Care
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- Biblical and theological perspectives on pastoral care
- Issues in pastoral theology
- The nature of people and families in various life stages and transitions
Be able to
- Examine biblical and theological perspectives on pastoral care
- Discuss aspects of pastoral care in the life of the church
- Analyse issues in pastoral theology
- Explain the nature of people and families in various life stages and transitions
- Engage in pastoral care
Be in a position to
- Integrate perspectives from foundations of pastoral care with their other theological studies
- Commence a ministry of pastoral care
- Maintain appropriate self care
Section A: Biblical and Theological Perspectives (40%)
- Biblical and theological perspectives on the nature of persons and groups; the human predicament; salvation and wholeness.
- Biblical patterns and models of pastoral care, including the roles of the people of God as a caring community.
- The maturity theme, individual and corporate, within the New Testament; the relationships between pastor-teacher functions and pastoral care functions; proactive and reactive styles.
- An overview of the history of pastoral care; the integration of insights from the social sciences.
Section B: Pastoral Care in the Stages of Life (60%)
- The distinction between pastoral care and pastoral counselling; the relationship between pastoral care and the regular life of the church, including Christian education and liturgy.
- Caring for the carers; supervision; support groups; the role of the church and church leadership.
- Pastoral care in major life-stages and transition; common crises of life in childhood, youth, early adulthood, middle age, old age, with attention to Christian initiation and nurture.
- Pastoral care of families and single people; preparation for marriage; vocational guidance.
- An introduction to cross-cultural factors in pastoral care; family patterns in various cultures and sub-cultures.
Bridges, W., Managing Transitions, Making the Most of Change (London: Nicholas Brealey, 2001).
Capps, D., Agents of Hope: A Pastoral Psychology (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1995).
Gerkin, C., An Introduction to Pastoral Care (Nashville: Abingdon, 1997).
Moessner, J. S., Through the Eyes of Women: Insights for Pastoral Care (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1996).
Oates, W., Grief, Transition and Loss (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1997).
Peterson, E., Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1992).
Price, W., In Transition (Harrisburg: Morehouse, 2002).
Proctor, S. and G. Taylor, We Have this Ministry (Nashville: Judson, 1996).
Sell, C., Transitions (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1991).
Smith, D., Empowering Ministry (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1996).
Storms, C., To Love Mercy: Becoming a Person of Compassion, Acceptance and Forgiveness (Colorado: NavPress, 1991).
Tidball, D., Builders and Fools (Leicester: IVP, 1999).
White, P., The Effective Pastor (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2000).
Willimon, W. H., Pastor: the Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry (Nashville: Abingdon, 2002).
Willimon, W. H., Pastor: A Reader for Ordained Ministry (Nashville: Abingdon, 2002).
Woodward, J. and S. Pattison, The Blackwell Reader in Pastoral and Practical Theology (Oxford: Blackwell, 2000).
Journals, and periodicals of value
Ames, S. (ed.), Ministry, Society and Theology (Victoria: Bullen).
Beasley Murray, P., Ministry Today (Richard Baxter Institute for Ministry).
Curkpatrick, S. (ed.), Ministry, Society and Theology (Mulgrave, Victoria: Australian Association of Supervised Pastoral Education).
Honeycutt, R. (ed.), Review and Expositor (Louisville: Southern Baptist Theological Seminary).
Marshall, H. I. (ed.), Evangelical Quarterly (Carlisle: Paternoster).
Nuncarrow, T. (ed.), Ministry Digest (Unley, SA: South Australia Mediacom).
Strunk and Orlo (eds), Journal of Pastoral Care (Kutztown: Journal of Pastoral Care).
Melbourne School of Theology01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Presbyterian Theological College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019On CampusEnquire