OT620 - The Pentateuch (English Text)
0 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
1. The contents and structure of the Pentateuch, with special reference to the selected books.
2. The themes and theological teaching of the Pentateuch.
3. The major issues in contemporary study of the Pentateuch.
4. The nature and methods of Old Testament exegesis.
5. Selected chapters of the selected books.
6. The relevance of the Pentateuch to contemporary ministry.
7. A selection of historic and contemporary interpretations of the Pentateuch.
B. Be able to
1. Use sources such as biblical and theological dictionaries, commentaries and on-line resources.
2. Recognise literary form, genre and structure.
3. Recognise issues involved in translation, including text, and word issues.
4. Evaluate matters relating to authorship, date and purpose.
5. Utilise the historical, religious, social and cultural contexts.
6. Relate passages to their literary context.
7. Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases.
8. Trace inter-textual references and allusions.
9. Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings.
10. Exegete a selection of chapters from the selected books.
11. Discuss interpretations of the Pentateuch.
C. Be in a position to
1. Exegete the text of the Pentateuch for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts.
2. Integrate perspectives from the Pentateuch into biblical interpretation and Christian thinking.
3. Apply the teaching of the Pentateuch to situations and issues in contemporary Christianity and society.
4. Evaluate interpretations of the Pentateuch.
1. The theology of the Pentateuch with special reference to one or two of the five books of the Pentateuch, especially such themes as covenant, law, land, grace, holy war, people of God, blessing and cursing.
2. Exegesis of the English text of Genesis 1–11; Deuteronomy 5–8, 12, 16–18, or comparable passages, drawn from the books of the Pentateuch.
Theological Themes and Traditions
Alexander, T. D. and D. W. Baker (eds), Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2003).
Alexander, T. D., From Paradise to Promised Land (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Balentine, S. E., The Torah’s Vision of Worship (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1999).
Barker, P. A., The Triumph of Grace in Deuteronomy (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2004).
Brueggemann, W., The Land: Place as Gift, Promise, and Challenge in Biblical Faith (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1997).
Fretheim, T. E., The Pentateuch (Nashville: Abingdon, 1996).
Hess, R. S. and D. T. Tsumura, I Studied Inscriptions from Before the Flood (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1994).
Rogerson, J. W., Genesis 1–11 (Sheffield: JSOT, 1990).
Sailhamer, J. H., The Pentateuch as Narrative (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992).
Wenham, G., Exploring the Old Testament Vol. I; The Pentateuch (London: SPCK, 2003).
Alter, R., Genesis: Translation and Commentary (New York: Norton, 1996).
Brett, M. G., Genesis (London: Taylor & Francis, 2007).
Brueggemann, W., Deuteronomy (Nashville: Abingdon, 2001).
Christensen, D. L., Deuteronomy 1:1-21:9 and 21:10-34:12 (2 Vols; Dallas, TX: Word, 2001–2002).
Clements, R. E., ‘Deuteronomy’ in The New Interpreter’s Bible, Vol.II (Nashville: Abingdon, 1998).
Fretheim, T. E., ‘Genesis’ in The New Interpreter’s Bible (Vol. I; Nashville: Abingdon, 1994).
Hamilton, V., The Book of Genesis Chapters 1–17 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990).
Hartley, J. E., Genesis (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2000).
McConville, J. G., Deuteronomy (Leicester: Apollos, 2002).
McKeown, J., Genesis (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008).
Nelson, R. D., Deuteronomy (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2002).
Sarna, N., Genesis (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1989).
Turner, L. A., Genesis (Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 2000).
Waltke, B., Genesis (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001).
Weinfeld, M., Deuteronomy 1–11 (New York: Doubleday, 1991).
Wenham, G., Genesis 1–15 (Waco, TX: Word, 1987).
Westermann, C., Genesis 1–11 (Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1984).
Wright, C., Deuteronomy (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1996).