OT502 - Old Testament Prophets and Writings
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
1. The Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets
a. The Book of Isaiah;
b. The Book of Jeremiah;
c. The Book of Ezekiel;
d. The Book of Daniel;
e. The Twelve (at least four in detail).
2. The Writings
a. Chronicles, Ezra and Nehemiah;
b. The Book of Psalms;
c. Wisdom Literature.
3. Selected approaches to the Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets and the Writings
Be able to
1. Discuss the content and character of the writings of the Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets and the Writings.
2. Explain the influence of the Ancient Near Eastern background on the Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets and the Writings.
3. Analyse the themes and theology of the Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets and the Writings.
4. Evaluate selected approaches to the Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets and the Writings.
Be in a position to
1. Integrate perspectives from ‘Old Testament Prophets and Writings’ with their other theological studies.
2. Apply perspectives from ‘Old Testament Prophets and Writings’ to current issues in Christian life and thought.
Section A. Prophetic Books/Latter Prophets
1. The Book of Isaiah.
2. The Book of Jeremiah.
3. The Book of Ezekiel.
4. The Book of Daniel.
5. The Twelve (at least four in detail).
Section B. The Writings
6. Chronicles, Ezra and Nehemiah.
7. The Book of Psalms.
8. Wisdom Literature.
Berry, D. K., An Introduction to Wisdom and Poetry of the Old Testament (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1995).
Blenkinsopp, J., A History of Prophecy in Israel (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1996).
Brueggemann, W., The Prophetic Imagination (Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2001).
Chisholm, R., Handbook on the Prophets (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002).
Collins, J. J., The Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish Apocalyptic Literature (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Long, V. P., The Art of Biblical History (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994).
McConville, G., Exploring the Old Testament Prophets (Vol.4; London: SPCK, 2002).
Murphy, R. E., The Tree of Life (3rd ed.; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002).
Satterthwaite, P. E., and J. G. McConvlle, Exploring the Old Testament, vol. 2: A Guide to the Historical Books (Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2007).
Walton, J. H., Covenant: God’s Purposes, God’s Plan (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994).
Bible College of South Australia01/07/201915/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Brisbane School of Theology01/07/201915/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College22/07/201915/08/201915/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College22/07/201915/08/201915/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Reformed Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College25/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College11/11/201906/12/201914/02/2020Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College22/07/201931/08/201925/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College10/09/201901/10/201920/12/2019IntensiveEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire