OT501 - Old Testament Foundations
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
1. The Pentateuch/Torah
a. Genesis 1-11;
b. Genesis 12-50;
2. The Historical Books/Former Prophets
a. Joshua and Judges;
b. 1 and 2 Samuel;
c. 1 and 2 Kings.
3. Selected approaches to the Pentateuch/Torah and the Historical Books/Former Prophets.
Be able to
1. Discuss the content and character of the writings of the Pentateuch/Torah and the Historical Books/Former Prophets.
2. Explain the influence of the Ancient Near Eastern background on the Pentateuch/Torah and the Historical Books/Former Prophets.
3. Analyse the themes and theology of the Pentateuch/Torah and the Historical Books/Former Prophets.
4. Evaluate selected approaches to the Pentateuch/Torah and the Historical Books/Former Prophets.
Be in a position to
1. Integrate perspectives from ‘Old Testament Foundations’ with their other theological studies.
2. Apply perspectives from ‘Old Testament Foundations’ to current issues in Christian life and thought.
Section A. The Pentateuch/Torah
1. Genesis 1-11.
2. Genesis 12-50.
Section B. Historical books/ Former Prophets
6. Joshua and Judges.
7. 1 and 2 Samuel.
8. 1 and 2 Kings.
Blenkinsopp, J., The Pentateuch: An Introduction to the First Five Books of the Bible (New York: Doubleday, 2000).
Merrill, E., Kingdom of Priests (Grand Rapids: BakerAcademic, 2008).
Hamilton, V. P., Handbook on the Historical Books (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001).
Satterthwaite, P. E., and J. G. McConvlle, Exploring the Old Testament, vol. 2: A Guide to the Historical Books (Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2007).
Wenham, G., Exploring the Old Testament: The Pentateuch (London: SPCK, 2003).
Clines, D. J., The Theme of the Pentateuch (2nd ed.; Sheffield: JSOT, 1997).
Bible College of South Australia01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Brisbane School of Theology01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Malyon Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Malyon Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - ACC01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - Chinese Department01/02/201931/03/201914/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - Chinese Department01/02/201931/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Presbyterian Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Reformed Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College25/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College25/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College04/02/201931/03/201921/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College21/03/201915/04/201920/07/2019IntensiveEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Vose Seminary01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Vose Seminary01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire