OT425 - Daniel (English Text)
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The characteristics of Old Testament apocalyptic
- The themes and theological teaching of the book of Daniel
- The major issues in contemporary study of the book of Daniel
- The English text of the book of Daniel
- The nature and methods of Old Testament exegesis
Be able to
- Use sources such as biblical and theological dictionaries, commentaries and on-line resources
- Recognise literary form, genre and structure
- Compare and contrast translations
- Evaluate matters relating to authorship, date and purpose
- Utilise the historical, religious, social and cultural contexts
- Relate passages to their literary context
- Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases
- Trace inter-textual references and allusions
- Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings
- Exegete the book of Daniel
Be in a position to
- Exegete the text of Daniel for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts
- Integrate perspectives from the study of Daniel into biblical interpretation and Christian thinking
- Apply the teaching of book of Daniel to situations and issues in contemporary Christianity and society
- Old Testament apocalyptic (its origin, development and theology) with special reference to the theology of the book of Daniel.
- Exegesis of the English text of Daniel
Theological Themes and Traditions
Collins, J. J., The Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish Apocalyptic Literature (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Collins, J. J. and P. W. Flint (eds), The Book of Daniel: Composition and Reception (2 vols.; Leiden: Brill, 2001).
Cook, S. L., Prophecy and Apocalypticism: Post-Exilic Social Setting (Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 1996).
Rowland, C., The Open Heaven (Eugene, OR: 2002).
Tigchelaar, E. J. C., Prophets of Old and the Day of the End (Leiden: Brill, 1995).
Hanson, P. D., Old Testament Apocalyptic (Nashville: Abingdon, 1987).
LaCoccque, A., Daniel in his Time (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina, 1988).
Collins, J. J., Daniel (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1993).
Duguid, I. M., Daniel (Phillipsburg NJ: P&R Publishing, 2008).
Ferguson, S., Daniel (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1988).
Goldingay, J., Daniel (Word BC; Dallas, TX: Word, 1989).
Lucas, E. C., Daniel (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2002).
Smith-Christopher, D. L., “The Book of Daniel” in The New Interpreter’s Bible (Vol. 7; Nashville: Abingdon, 1996).
Christ College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Presbyterian Theological College15/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire