NT502 - The Early New Testament Church
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
1. The history, themes, theology and narrative of the Book of Acts.
2. The contents, context, themes and theology of major New Testament Epistles.
3. Selected approaches to Acts and the early New Testament Church.
Be able to
a. the history, themes, theology and narrative presented in the Book of Acts; and
b. the contents, themes and theology of selected New Testament Epistles.
2. Analyse key developments and emerging patterns in the beginnings and expansion of the early church.
3. Explain the issues confronted by and teaching of selected New Testament Epistles.
4. Evaluate selected approaches to Acts and the early New Testament Church.
Be in a position to
1. Integrate perspectives from ‘The Early New Testament Church’ with their other theological studies.
2. Apply perspectives from ‘The Early New Testament Church’ to current issues in Christian life and thought.
The beginnings and expansion of the church as reflected in the New Testament documents, with special attention to the Acts of the Apostles. Topics to be covered include:
1. The Jerusalem church.
2. Early Christian preaching.
3. Stephen and the Hellenists.
4. The Pauline mission and churches.
5. The Council of Jerusalem.
6. Schism, heresy and external threat in the early church.
The main issues confronted in and the teaching of at least seven major New Testament epistles.
Note: Both Section A and Section B should be weighted at not less than 25% of the content and assessment.
Fitzmyer, J. A., The Acts of the Apostles (New York: Anchor, Doubleday, 1997).
Hengel, M., Acts and the History of Earliest Christianity (repr; Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2003).
Marshall, I. H. and D. Peterson (eds), Witness to the Gospel: The Theology of Acts (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Schnabel, E. J., Early Christian Mission, Vol 2: Paul and the Early Church (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2004).
Winter, B. W. (Gen. Ed.), Book of Acts in its First Century Setting (6 Vols; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993-1996).
Witherington, B., The Acts of the Apostles: A Socio–Rhetorical Commentary (Carlisle: Paternoster, 1998).
Woods, E. J., The ‘Finger of God’ and Pneumatology in Luke–Acts (Sheffield: SAP, 2001).
Goulder, M., St Peter Verses St Paul: A Tale of Two Missions (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1995).
Hemer, C. J., The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History (ed. By C.H. Gempf; Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1990).
Spencer, F. S., The Portrait of Philip in Acts: A Study of Roles and Relations (Sheffield: JSOT, 1992).
Bible College of South Australia01/07/201915/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Christ College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Melbourne School of Theology - ACC01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Morling College22/07/201915/08/201915/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College22/07/201915/08/201915/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Presbyterian Theological College15/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Reformed Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College25/02/201915/03/201914/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019Off CampusEnquire
Ridley College22/07/201915/08/201908/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Ridley College11/11/201906/12/201914/02/2020Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College04/02/201931/03/201921/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College22/07/201931/08/201925/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019On CampusEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/07/201931/08/201930/11/2019Directed Study ContractEnquire