NT434 - The Fourth Gospel (Greek Text)
2,280 Standard Tuition Fee
LA004A and LA004B
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
- The Fourth Gospel: authorship, date, occasion, formation, setting, purpose
- The themes and theology of the Fourth Gospel
- Interplay between narrative, encounter, sign and teaching
- Relation to the synoptic gospels and the gospel tradition
- The Greek text of the Fourth Gospel
- The nature and methods of New Testament exegesis
Be able to
- Use sources such as lexicons, theological dictionaries, grammars, textual analyses, commentaries and on-line resources
- Identify the authorship, date and purpose
- Translate into English
- Evaluate textual variants and issues in the history of the text
- Recognise literary form, genre, structure and rhetorical conventions
- Utilize the historical, social and cultural contexts
- Assign passages to the literary and canonical contexts
- Establish the meaning of significant words and phrases in the contexts of John’s writings
- Trace inter-textual references and allusions
- Discuss the main themes, arguments and theological teachings
- Translate and exegete the Greek text of selected passages from the Fourth Gospel
Be in a position to
- Exegete the Greek text of the Fourth Gospel for personal understanding and for use in ministry contexts
- Integrate perspectives from the Fourth Gospel into biblical interpretation and Christian thinking
- Apply the teaching of the Fourth Gospel to situations and issues in contemporary Christianity and society
Candidates are required to learn and employ exegetical methods of modern critical scholarship. Candidates who pursue exegesis in the Greek text are also urged to include OT447 in their studies, as Greek exegesis will expect an acquaintance with the issues in the major textual variants
Candidates may not take any unit in which they repeat material completed in another unit.
- The theology of the Fourth Gospel, including such topics as: christology; pneumatology; the church; eschatology; salvation/life/judgement; sacraments; faith and signs.
- The critical issues in the Fourth Gospel, such as: authorship; dating; provenance; formation of and historical background to the gospel; John and the synoptic gospels and the gospel tradition.
- Translation and exegesis of the Greek text of John 1–3, 5–6, 15–16 (or a comparable block of chapters).
Culpepper, R. A., and C. C. Black (eds), Exploring the Gospel of John (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1996).
Ferreira, J., Johannine Ecclesiology (Sheffield: SAP, 1998).
Fortna, R. T. and T. Thatcher (eds), Jesus in Johannine Tradition (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2001).
Orton, D. E., The Composition of John’s Gospel: Selected Studies from Novum Testamentum (Leiden: Brill, 1999).
Painter, J., R. A. Culpepper and F. Segovia (eds), Word, Theology and Community in John (St. Louis, MO: Chalice, 2002).
Porter, S. E. and C. A. Evans (eds), The Johannine Writings: A Sheffield Reader (Sheffield: SAP, 1995).
Smalley, S. S., John: Evangelist & Interpreter (Exeter: Paternoster, 1998).
Smith, D. M., The Theology of the Gospel of John (Cambridge: CUP, 1995).
Barrett, C. K., The Gospel According to St John (London: SPCK, 1978).
Brown, R. E., The Gospel according to John: Introduction, Translation, and Notes (2 Vols. Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, 1966-1970).
Carson, D. A., The Gospel According to John (Leicester: IVP, 1991).
Keener, C. S., The Gospel of John: A Commentary (2 Vols; Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2003).
Köstenberger, A. J., John (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2004).
Moloney, F. J., The Gospel of John (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical, 1998).
Ridderbos, H., The Gospel of John: A Theological Commentary (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997).
Witherington, B., John’s Wisdom: A Commentary on the Fourth Gospel (Lousville: Westminster John Knox, 1995).
Brisbane School of Theology01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201907/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Morling College18/02/201915/03/201907/06/2019Off CampusEnquire
Queensland Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Reformed Theological College01/02/201931/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College04/02/201931/03/201921/06/2019On CampusEnquire
Trinity Theological College01/02/201915/03/201930/06/2019On CampusEnquire