EM723-6 - Missional Spirituality
3,420 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
- The connection between Missional theology, Ecclesiology and Spirituality.
- The core concepts of a missional spirituality eg Kenosis, Trinitarian, Pneumatology, Incarnation.
B. Be able to
- Discuss Theology, Ecclesiology, and Missional Spirituality
- Critically Reflect on Christian Spirituality relating to the areas of inwardness, consumerism and disembodiment.
- Compare and contrast historical missional spiritualities
- Articulate an understanding of their relationship with God from a missional perspective
C. Be in a position to
- Apply missional practices in their daily lives for transformation.
- Reflect the Missio Dei as the practices are applied.
- Implement missional practices in a church or organization
Section A: Missional Theology, Ecclesiology and Spirituality.
- Defining the terms ‘missional’ and spirituality theologically.
- Understanding the connection between missional theology and ecclesiology that enables the spiritual formation of a church.
- Discerning a missional spirituality in the Bible.
- Critiquing traditional interpretations of Christian spirituality.
- Learning from the majority world with respect to the unity of mission and spirituality.
- Identifying the broader search for spirituality in our Western culture and critiquing contemporary expressions of Christian spirituality. Contrasting this to a missional expression. Naming challenges to a missional spirituality such as consumerism, excarnation, disenchantment, pragmatism as seen in Charles Taylor’s A Secular Age.
Section B: Historical Missional Spirituality
- A brief exposure to two historical expressions of missional spirituality; Celtic spirituality and the Benedictine movement.
- Comparing these expressions of missional spirituality to the emergence of the ‘New Monasticism’ in contemporary culture and critically assessing this application.
Section C: Missional disciplines for Spiritual Formation
- The purpose of and also misuse of spiritual disciplines in spiritual formation. Discerning and reframing contemporary cultural narratives to a kingdom narrative.
- Reviewing and assessing theories of formation which produce transformed disciples.
- Discussing, developing and assessing missional practices for the purpose of formation according to the missio Dei.
- Application of missional practices in a church/organisational context for the purpose of missional transformation.
No set texts are presecribed
Greenman, Jeffrey, Life in the Spirit: Spiritual Formation in Theological Perspective (Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2010).
Guder, D. (ed), Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998).
Hastings, Ross., Missional God, Missional Church (Downers Grove: IVP, 2012).
Helland, Roger and Leonard Hjalmarson., Missional Spirituality: Embodying God’s Love from the Inside Out (Downers Grove: IVP, 2011).
Holt, Simon Carey., The God Next Door (Brunswick: Acorn Press, 2007).
Hunter, George III., The Celtic Way of Evangelism (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2010).
Jones, Barry., Dwell: Life with God for the World (Downers Grove: IVP, 2014)
Kenneson, Phillip. Life on the Vine. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1999.
Morey, Tim., Embodying our Faith: Becoming a Living, Sharing, Practicing Church (Downers Grove: IVP, 2009).
Pohl, Christine., Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999).
Scandrette, Mark., Practicing the Way of Jesus: Life Together in the Kingdom of Love (Downers Grove: IVP, 2011).
Smith, James K.A., Desiring the Kingdom: Cultural Liturgies 1 (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2009).
Taylor, Charles., A Secular Age (Harvard: Harvard university Press, 2001).
Wright, Tom., Virtue Reborn (London: SPCK, 2010).
Augsberger, David., Dissident Discipleship: A Spirituality of Self-surrender, Love of God and Love of Neighbor (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2006)
Bass, Dorothy,. Practicing our Faith (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2010).
Beach., Lee The Church in Exile: Living in Hope after Christendom (Downers Grove: IVP academic, 2015).
Bosch, David., A Spirituality of the Road (Scottdale: Herald Press, 1979).
Brisco, B and Ford, L., The Missional Quest: Becoming a Church of the Long Run (Downers Grove: IVP, 2013).
Conner, Benjamin,. Practicing Witness: A Missional Vision of Christian Practices (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011).
Cunningham, David., These Three are One: The Practice of Trinitarian Theology (Oxford: Blackwell, 1998).
Downey, M. Understanding Christian Spirituality. Mahwah: Paulist Press, 1997.
Drane, John, Do Christians Know How to be Spiritual?: The Rise of New Spirituality and the Mission of the Church, London: Darton, Longman & Todd, 2005.
Frost, Michael., Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2006).
Gorman, Michael., Cruciformity: Paul’s Narrative Spirituality of the Cross (Grand Rapids; Eerdmans, 2009).
Hartgrove, Jonathan,. New Monasticism: What it has to say to today’s church (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2008).
Heath, Elaine., The Mystic Way of Evangelism (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008).
Hill, Graham., Global Church: Reshaping our Conversations, Renewing our Mission, Revitalising our Churches (Downers Grove, IVP Academic, 2016).
Hirsch, Alan., Untamed (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2009)
Hjalmarson, L. The Missional Church Fieldbook CreateSpace (Independent Publishing Platform, 2013).
Hope, Susan., Mission-Shaped Spirituality (London: Church House, 2010).
Joyce, Timothy., Celtic Christianity; A Sacred Tradition a Vision of Hope (MaryKnoll: Orbis Books, 1998).
Liechty, D., ed. Early Anabaptist Spirituality: Selected Writings. The Classics of Western Spirituality, (Mahwah: Paulist Press, 1994).
Lyons Lee, Brent., Celtic Spirituality in the Australian Landscape (Waurn Ponds: 2014).
McLaren, Brian, A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
McLaren, Brian. Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008.
Merton, Thomas., Contemplation in a World of Action (Garden City: Doubleday, 1971)
Mulholland, Robert., Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation, (Downers Grove: IVP, 2009).
Peterson, Eugene H. Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2005.
Peterson, Eugene. Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2006.
Reilly, Michael Collins. Spirituality for Mission: Historical, Theological, and Cultural Factors for a Present-Day Missionary Spirituality. New York: Orbis, 1975.
Rutba House (Ed) Schools for Conversion: 12 Marks of a New Monasticism (Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2005).
Sheldrake, Phillip. The Spiritual City: Theology, Spirituality and the Urban (Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell, 2014).
Sparks, Paul, Soerens, Tim, Friesen J., The New Parish: How Neighbourhood Churches are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community (Downers Grove, IVP, 2014).
Stead, Julian,. St Benedict: A Rule for Beginners (Hyde Park: New York City Press, 2012).
Smith, Christopher and Pattison, John., Slow Church: Cultivating Community in the Patient Way of Jesus (Downers Grove: IVP, 2014).
Tacey The Spirituality Revolution: The Emergence of Contemporary Spirituality (New York: Routledge, 2004).
Tyra, Gary., The Holy Spirit in Mission (Downers Grove: IVP, 2006).
Underhill, Evelyn., The Spiritual Life (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1937).
Willard, Dallas, Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2002.