EM709-6 - Making Disciples Across Cultures
3,420 Standard Tuition Fee
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
Biblical principles and models of making disciples
Missiological and educational principles for making disciples across cultures
Approaches to making disciples in diverse cultural contexts and Christian traditions
Be able to
Evaluate models of making disciples
Research a specific cultural context to identify implications for making disciples in that context
Apply biblical, missiological and educational principles to making disciples in diverse cultural contexts
Be in a position to
Implement a contextually appropriate approach to making disciples in specific cultural contexts
Train disciples to disciple others in diverse cultural contexts
1. Biblical, missiological, and educational principles of intercultural disciple making
2. Cultural values and worldview assumptions and issues in discipling
3. Spiritual formation in discipling
4. Development of Christian identity and belonging through discipling
5. Examples and case studies of discipling in specific contexts
6. Researching disciples’ culture and context and the questions and issues that arise from it and that will affect the discipling process
7. Contextualising the content and methods of discipling in the light of the disciples’ culture
Hibbert, E., and Hibbert, R., Intercultural Discipling: Walking alongside Disciples on the Jesus Road (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2018).
Moon, J., Intercultural Discipleship: Learning from Global Approaches to Spiritual Formation (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2017).
Hiebert, P., Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008).
Hull, B., The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2006).
Johnson, J., We are not the Hero: a Missionary's Guide to Sharing Christ, not a Culture of Dependency (Sisters, OR: Deep River Books, 2016).
Lingenfelter, S., and Mayers, M., Ministering Cross-Culturally: A Model for Effective Personal Relationships (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2016).
Little, D., Effective Discipling in Muslim Communities : Scripture, History and Seasoned Practices (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2015).
Shultz, T., Disciple Making among Hindus: Making Authentic Relationships Grow (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2016).
Coleman, R., The Master Plan of Evangelism (Grand Rapids, MI: Revell, 2010).
Donovan, V., Christianity Rediscovered (Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 2003).