EM052-912 - Contextualization of Theology and Ministry Practice
2,520 Standard Tuition Fee
48 cps Level 8
Prior to 2020, this unit content was delivered under the unit code EM780-6.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
B. Be able to
2. Integrate diverse scholarship and ministry experience in contextualising theology and ministry practice
3. Present independent Research-Driven perspectives on contextualisation and its application to theology and ministry practice
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying research-based perspectives and skills from ‘Contextualisation of Theology and Ministry Practice’ for ministry practice and Christian living as a reflective practitioner
- Module 1: Groundwork for contextual theology
- Module 2: Biblical basis for contextualization
- Module 3: The history of contextualization
- Module 4: Models of contextualization
- Module 5: Communication and anthropological models
- Module 6: Worldview and redemptive analogies
- Module 7: Principles and procedure of contextualization
- Module 8: Contemporary models
- Module 9: Case studies
Contextualization in World Missions: Mapping and Assessing Evangelical Models A. Scott Moreau (Kregel Publications, 2012)
Contextualization: Meanings, Methods & Models D.J. Hesselgrave & E. Rommen, (William Carey, 2003)
The Gospel in Human Contexts: Anthropological Explorations for Contemporary Missions Paul G. Hiebert (Baker Academic, 2009)
The Shaping of Things to Come – Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church, Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch, (Baker Books, 2004).
Appropriate Christianity Charles Kraft (ed) (William Carey, 2005)
Models of Contextual Theology, Stephen Bevans, (Orbis books 2002 (revd),.
God in Context: A Survey of Contextual Theology Sigurd Bergmann (Ashgate, 2003)
Contextualization in the New Testament: Patterns for Theology and Mission Dean Flemming (IVP Academic 2005)
Contextualization and Syncretism: Navigating Cultural Currents (Evangelical Missiological Society Series, No. 13) by Gailyn Van Rheenen (ed.) (William Carey Library, 2013)
One Gospel for All Nations: A Practical Approach to Biblical Contextualization Jackson Wu (William Carey Library 2015)
Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships Sherwood G. Lingenfelter & Marvin K. Mayers (Baker Academic, 2003)
Contextualization: A Theology of Gospel and Culture Bruce J. Nicholls (Regent College Publishing, 2003)
Slippery paths in the darkness: papers on syncretism: 1965-1988 Alan R. Tippett (William Carey Library, 2014)
Building Bridges F.E. Accad, (Navpress 1997).
The Suburban Captivity of the Church: Contextualising the Gospel for Post-Christian Australia Tim Foster (Acorn Press, 2014).
From Buddha to Jesus Steve Cioccolanti (Monarch 2010)
Sharing Your Faith With a Hindu Madasamy Thirumalai (Bethany House Publishers 2002)
Understanding Folk Religion: A Christian Response to Popular Beliefs and Practices Paul G. Hiebert & R. Daniel Shaw (Baker Academic 2000)