EM039-912 - Making Disciples Across Cultures
2,802 Standard Tuition Fee
Category advanced unitC
evangelism missiolUnit Discipline
48 cps Level 8
Prior to 2020, this unit content was delivered under the unit code EM709-6.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
B. Be able to
2. Integrate diverse scholarship and ministry experience in the application of missiological and educational principles for making disciples across cultures
3. Present independent Research-Driven perspectives on missiological practice, with particular reference to specific cultures
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying research-based perspectives and skills from ‘Making Disciples Across Cultures’ to cross-cultural ministry practice and Christian living as a reflective practitioner
1. Biblical, missiological, and educational principles of intercultural disciple making
2. Cultural values and worldview assumptions and issues in discipling
3. Spiritual formation in discipling
4. Development of Christian identity and belonging through discipling
5. Examples and case studies of discipling in specific contexts
6. Researching disciples’ culture and context and the questions and issues that arise from it and that will affect the discipling process
7. Contextualising the content and methods of discipling in the light of the disciples’ culture
This unit's indicative bibliography is currently being revised. Students should contact their home college for further details at the time of taking this unit.
Hibbert, E., and Hibbert, R., Intercultural Discipling: Walking alongside Disciples on the Jesus Road (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2018).
Moon, J., Intercultural Discipleship: Learning from Global Approaches to Spiritual Formation (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2017).
Hiebert, P., Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008).
Hull, B., The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2006).
Johnson, J., We are not the Hero: a Missionary's Guide to Sharing Christ, not a Culture of Dependency (Sisters, OR: Deep River Books, 2016).
Lingenfelter, S., and Mayers, M., Ministering Cross-Culturally: A Model for Effective Personal Relationships (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2016).
Little, D., Effective Discipling in Muslim Communities : Scripture, History and Seasoned Practices (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2015).
Shultz, T., Disciple Making among Hindus: Making Authentic Relationships Grow (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2016).
Coleman, R., The Master Plan of Evangelism (Grand Rapids, MI: Revell, 2010).
Donovan, V., Christianity Rediscovered (Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 2003).