EM024-512 - Principles of Evangelism
2,679 Standard Tuition Fee
Category foundational unitA
evangelism missiolUnit Discipline
Prior to 2020, this unit content was delivered under the unit code EM324.
EM004-512 and EM072
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
Demonstrate Foundational knowledge and understanding of evangelism.
B. Be able to
1. Identify the principles and practice of evangelism
2. Under supervision, Observe evangelistic practice
3. Demonstrate skills in evangelism
4. Present Organised evidence-based perspectives on evangelism
C. Be in a position to
1. Relating perspectives and skills from ‘Principles of Evangelism’ to ministry contexts
Section A: Biblical and Theological Perspectives
- An examination of evangelistic proclamation in Acts and the other New Testament texts, with attention to what constitutes the gospel message and varied approaches according to audience;
- Divine sovereignty and human response, faith, conversion and baptism.
- Motivations for evangelism; the relation of proclamation to meeting human need.
- Proclamation, witness and presence; the place of evangelism in Christian education and worship.
- Hindrances to evangelism, including brief consideration of common objections to the gospel.
Section B: Principles of Evangelism
- The role of the evangelist: the vocation to be an evangelist; lifestyle and message; the role(s) of the congregation in the evangelist’s ministry.
- Communicating faith: person to person; through relationships; small groups; life networks; earning the right to speak; mass evangelism.
- Evangelism of various groups: for example youth, nominal church members, ethnic groups, secular humanists, factory workers.
- Appropriate evangelistic methods for different situations and contexts (including dialogue meetings, evangelistic church services, distinctive approaches for women and men); examination of two methods of personal evangelism.
Section C: Field Work
- Personal involvement (with supervision) in not less than 20 hours in specifically evangelistic programmes, including at least 5 hours of direct evangelism by the student. These hours exclude preparation and writing-up time. This work should include both inter-personal and small group contexts, using the methods studied in topic 9. This work should include people known to the student as evangelist, and those unknown. Large group and media settings may also be used.
This unit's indicative bibliography is currently being revised. Students should contact their home college for further details at the time of taking this unit.
Allison, L. and M. Anderson, Going Public With the Gospel: Reviving Evangelistic Proclamation (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2004).
Chapman, J., Know and Tell the Gospel (Sydney: Matthias Media, 1998).
Cowan, S. B. and W. L. Craig, Five Views on Apologetics (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000).
Drummond, L., Reaching GenerationNext: Effective Evangelism in Today’s Culture (Grand Rapids: Baker 2002).
Finney, J., Emerging Evangelism (London: Darton, Longman & Todd, 2004).
Hughes, B. and J. Bellamy, A Passion for Evangelism: Turning Vision into Action (Adelaide: OpenBook, 2004).
Little, P. and M. Little, Know Why You Believe (5th ed.; Wheaton, IL: Victor, 2003).
Long, J., Emerging Hope: A Strategy for Reaching Postmodern Generations (2nd ed.; Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2004).
McQuoid, S., Sharing the Good News in C21: Evangelism in a local church context (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2002).
Mittelberg, M., Building a Contagious Church: Revolutionizing the Way We View and Do Evangelism (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000).
Pippert, R. M., Saltshaker Resources: An Evangelism Toolkit (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2003).
Richardson, R., Evangelism Outside the Box: New Ways to Help People Experience the Good News (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2000).
Brisbane School of Theology31/01/202317/03/202307/06/2023On CampusEnquire
Brisbane School of Theology31/01/202317/03/202307/06/2023Off CampusEnquire
Brisbane School of Theology01/02/202317/03/202330/06/2023On CampusEnquire
Morling - Perth20/02/202317/03/202316/06/2023On CampusEnquire
Morling - Perth20/02/202317/03/202316/06/2023Off CampusEnquire
Morling College17/07/202311/08/202310/11/2023On CampusEnquire
Morling College17/07/202311/08/202310/11/2023Off CampusEnquire
Reformed Theological College01/02/202331/03/202330/06/2023On CampusEnquire