EM008-812 - Cross-Cultural Communication
2,802 Standard Tuition Fee
Category developing unitB
evangelism missiolUnit Discipline
Prior to 2020, this unit content was delivered under the unit code EM608. Unit exclusions: EM032-612, EM032-712, EM032-812
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
Demonstrate Advanced knowledge and understanding of, and the research underlying, cross-cultural communication and its implications for cross cultural ministry.
B. Be able to
1. Examine principles and patterns in cross cultural communication
2. Review their own communication activity and skills in cross cultural ministry contexts
3. Critique the contextualisation of the Gospel in particular cultural situations
4. Present Research-Aware evidence-based perspectives on cross-cultural communication
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying perspectives and skills from ‘Cross Cultural Communication’ to cross cultural ministry practice as a reflective practitioner
- Theories and models of cross-cultural communication: Culture (Nida); Incarnational (Kraft); Bonding (Brewster & Brewster); Christ and Culture (Niebuhr).
- World views and their significance for cross-cultural communication, with reference to: naturalist; animist; folk religion; Hindu-Buddhist; Chinese; monotheist; syncretistic and multi-religious world-views.
- Cognitive processes: conceptual, intuitional, concrete relational; language and communication; cultural distance and audience response.
- Behavioural patterns: cultural norms and values; body language, space, time, para-language, artefacts and the environment.
- The influence of social structures on communication; indigenous modes of communication: music; drama; sports; puppetry etc.
- Media influences: media and message; audience response.
- Its necessity; biblical mandate and examples;
- The process of contextualisation: criteria, stage and limitations;
- Cultural examples of contextualisation critically evaluated.
This unit's indicative bibliography is currently being revised. Students should contact their home college for further details at the time of taking this unit.
Claydon, D., Connecting Across Cultures (Melbourne: Acorn Press, 2000).
Claydon, D (ed.), A New Vision, A New Heart, A Renewed Call ( Pasadena: William Carey, 2005).
Bevans, S. B., Models of Contextual Theology Rev. ed. (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2004).
Burnett, D., Clash of Worlds (London: Monarch, 2002).
Carson, D. A. (ed.), Biblical Interpretation and the Church: The Problem of Contextualization (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2002).
Elmer, D., Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting in Around the World (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2002).
Fleming, D. E., Contextualisation in the New Testament: Patterns for Theology and Mission (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2005).
Hesselgrave, D. J., Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1991).
Hesselgrave, D. J. and E. Rommen, Contextualization: Meanings, Methods, Models (Pasadena, CA: William Carey, 2000).
Kraft, C. H., Culture, Communication, and Christianity: A Selection of Writings (Pasadena, CA: William Carey, 2001).
Lingenfelter, J. E. and S. G. Lingenfelter, Teaching Cross-Culturally: An Incarnation Model for Learning and Teaching (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003).
Lingenfelter, S. G. and M. K. Mayers, Ministering Cross-culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships (2nd ed.; Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003).
Sweet, L. (ed.), The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003).
Weaver, G., Culture, Communication and Conflict: Readings in Intercultural Relations (Boston: Pearson, 2000).
Gilliland, D. S. (ed.), The Word Among Us: Contextualizing Theology for Mission Today (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2002).
Hofstede, G. H. and G. J. Hofstede, Cultures and Organizations: Software of the mind (2nd ed.; New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005).
Sire, J. W., Naming the Elephant: Worldview As a Concept (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2004).
Morling College17/07/202311/08/202310/11/2023On CampusEnquire
Morling College17/07/202311/08/202310/11/2023Off CampusEnquire
Sydney Missionary & Bible College - Roberts-Dale06/02/202317/03/202326/06/2023On CampusEnquire
Trinity Theological College07/02/202308/03/202313/06/2023On CampusEnquire