Master of Theological Studies
2Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
Course code: MTS20
8Max Years Part Time
The Master of Theological studies will be taking enrolments from 1 January 2020.
A coursework Masters degree at AQF level 9 for professional practice and/or further study and scholarship, the Master of Theological Studies is designed to bring the development of ACT graduate attributes to an advanced level.
Its purpose is:
1) To provide students who are already graduates with the opportunity to undertake study in the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated in the fields of:
- Bible & Languages (LA, OT, NT, BB)
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
2) through elective units:
- Further develop understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History; and/or
- Develop particular ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice (EM, PC, DM)
The course will include an introduction to the research principles and methods applicable to the specialised study of the theological disciplines.
192 credit points over 2 years (F/T)
24cps from the following units:
- OT001-712, OT002-712, OT003-712, BB001-712, BB002-712, BB003-712, NT001-712, NT002-712, NT003-712
12cps from CH / TH / PE units at level 7 or above
At least 156cps elective units from any unit field, which includes at least one of the following:
- 12 cps Level 9 Project (**200-912); or
- 24 cps Level 9 Project (**200-924); or
- 36 cps Level 9 Project (**200-936); or
- a 12cps masters capstone experience unit (**205-912); or
- a 12cps advanced independent reading unit (**201-912).
Units in this course are completed at Level 7 and above, including no more than 60cps Level 7, and including at least 36cps at Level 9.
- Graduates of an ACT BMin or BTh or equivalent are eligible to receive advanced standing for up to 60cps of Level 7 units in the course based on units completed in their previous degree, with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9.
- Graduates of an AQF level 8 or 9 award in Ministry or Theology are eligible to receive advanced standing for up to 96cps of Level 7 and Level 8 units in the course based on units completed in their previous degree, with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9.
Academic Qualifications: Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date advanced knowledge and understanding of selected fields of Theological Studies, consisting of study within the broad fields of Christian Ministry and Practice; Christian Thought and History; and Bible and Languages.
2. Examine the biblical, theological and ministry foundations of Theological Studies
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesise specialised Theological Studies scholarship in inquiry-based learning
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on specialised Theological Studies issues by using recognised source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions
5. Present specialised Theological Studies ideas, knowledge and principles to, and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. As leader and in groups, apply specialised understanding of Theological Studies in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement with the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
8. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian ministry
$9,600 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2020 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Maximum concurrent enrolment load: 60cps
- There is a pre-requisite for Level 9 units: 48cps Level 8
- Ability successfully to negotiate the content and demands of a number of units in a specialised field of study in which theological insights are brought to bear upon the graduates’ ministry context.
- Demonstration of knowledge and competence of skills in the analysis of texts and ideas, and issues in practical ministry.
- Demonstration of wide reading, intellectual independence, critical thinking and analytic rigour at early postgraduate level such that the potential for research at masters level is emerging.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Chinese Theological College AustraliaLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Reformed Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity College QueenslandLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more
Vose SeminaryLearn more