Master of Divinity
3Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
Course code: MDIV20
9Max Years Part Time
Cricos code: 054688E (English); 083099G (Chinese)
- Introduces graduate students to the sources and content of the Christian story and message at an advanced level, and provides training which combines articulation of this story and message with their application and practice in the contemporary world. The course will include the essential research principles and methods used in Divinity as preparation for higher degrees in Theology and Ministry.
- The course will be based on the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated in the fields of:
- Bible and Languages (LA, OT, NT, BB)
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
- Through elective units students can:
- Develop advanced understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History
- Develop particular ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice
288 credit points over 3 years (F/T)
- 24cps Old Testament Introduction:
- Two of OT001-712, OT002-712, OT003-712, OR
- OT003-712 and one of BB001-712, BB002-712, BB003-712
- 24cps New Testament Introduction:
- Two of NT001-712, NT002-712, NT003-712, OR
- NT003-712 and one of BB001-712, BB002-712, BB003-712
- 24cps CH
- 36cps TH
- 24cps LA – either LA003-612 and LA004-612, or LA005-612 and LA006-612
- 48cps Old / New Testament set books, with a minimum of 12cps from Old Testament and 12cps from New Testament, including at least 24cps set books using the original Greek or Hebrew biblical text
- 12cps CH / TH / PE
- 24cps LA / BB / NT / OT / CH / TH / PE
- At least 72cps elective units from any unit field, which includes at least one of the following:
- 12 credit point project (**200-912); or
- 24 credit point project in any unit field (**200-924); or
- 36 credit point project in any unit field (**200-936); or
- a 12cps masters capstone experience unit (**205-912); or
- a 12cps advanced independent reading unit (**201-912).
Units in this course are completed at level 7 and above (with the exception of LA units which can be level 6 and above), no more than 144cps in total at levels 6 and 7, and including at least 36cps at level 9.
Academic Qualifications: Completed three year non-theological bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students at selected delivery locations. See here for more information.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date extended knowledge and understanding of ‘Divinity’, including the spiritual and ethical implications
2. Discuss the essential research principles and methods used in Divinity
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Utilize, and reflect upon prior knowledge and experience, and use and reflect critically on, current knowledge, ideas and practice in Divinity in inquiry based learning
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Integrate and synthesize extended learning and knowledge from a wide range of sources and contexts in the investigation of problems and issues in Divinity scholarship and practice
5. Plan and execute a research project or capstone experience by asking questions and identifying problems and using appropriate Divinity research principles and methods
6. Present extended Divinity knowledge, ideas and principles to, and engage with, specialist as well as non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
7. As leader and in groups, apply extended understanding of Divinity in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement With the World
8. Bring enhanced professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
9. Demonstrate readiness for research at a higher level in capacity for wide reading, analytical rigour and independent thinking
$10,080 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2021 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Maximum concurrent enrolment load: 60cps
- There is a pre-requisite for Level 9 units: 48cps Level 8
- Ability to interpret and critically evaluate the biblical deposit, especially those books which have played a crucial role in the development of the Christian tradition, with a comprehensive knowledge of their original context and their major themes and ideas.
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of and ability to exegete biblical texts in their original language(s).
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the major theological tenets of the Christian faith which underpin any coherent theological world view and philosophy of ministry.
- Skills in at least one area of pastoral ministry.
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the historical conditions under which theological worldviews have developed and are being shaped today.
- Openness to the tradition of published scholarship and the diversity of viewpoints which characterise that scholarship in the various fields of the discipline of theology as essential to understanding and respecting the discipline and as an integral part of the preparation for communicating the Christian tradition and contributing to the on-going enterprise of the community of scholars in the articulation and actualisation of the Christian faith.
Approved for delivery at
Approval to deliver a course does not guarantee that this course will be available in a given year – please contact a college about current availability.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Chinese Theological College AustraliaLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Reformed Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity College QueenslandLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more