Master of Arts (Theology) - standard pathway
1.5Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
6Max Years Part Time
Designed to provide graduates in Theology or Ministry, including those who are practitioners in ministry, the opportunity to undertake study at coursework Masters level, thus consolidating and enhancing the areas of speciality, or proceeding to new areas of professional and vocational expertise, on the foundation of their first degree in Theology or Ministry. The course will include an introduction to the research principles and methods applicable to the specialised study of Theology.
48 credit points over 1.5 years (F/T)
- 30cps in LA, BB, OT, NT, TH, CH and/or PE, including either a 6 cps (8,000 word) minor project (**783), a 12 cps (16,000 word) major project (**796) or capstone experience
- 18 cps electives from any unit field.
Units in this course are completed at 700 level.
Academic Qualifications:ï¿½ï¿½ACT BMin or BTh or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB:ï¿½ï¿½IELTS 7.0 with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking.
Provisional Admission:ï¿½ï¿½Provisional candidature granted to those holding ThL with a GPA of at least 2.0 as well as a university degree, conditional upon passing four 400 level units (16cps) with a 2.0 GPA. Provisional candidates will be required to pass their first two units for their candidature to be confirmed. No distinction is made between full and part-time students.
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Demonstrate up-to-dateï¿½ï¿½specialisedï¿½ï¿½knowledge and understanding of Theology in the fields of ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Bible and Languagesï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ and ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Christian Thoughtï¿½ï¿½ï¿½, including the spiritual and ethical ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ implications
2.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Discuss the research principles and methods used in the fields of ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Bible and Languagesï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ and ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Christian Thoughtï¿½ï¿½ï¿½
Inquiry and Analysis
3.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Utilise and reflect uponï¿½ï¿½prior knowledge and experience, and use and reflect critically on currentï¿½ï¿½specialisedï¿½ï¿½Theology knowledge, ideas and practice
Problem Solving and Integration
4.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Integrate and synthesise learning and knowledge fromï¿½ï¿½a wider range of sources and contextsï¿½ï¿½in the investigation ofï¿½ï¿½specialisedï¿½ï¿½problems and issues in Theology scholarship and ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½ ï¿½ï¿½practice
5.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Plan and execute a research project or capstone experience by asking questions and identifying problems and using appropriate Theology research principles and methods
6.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Presentï¿½ï¿½specialisedï¿½ï¿½Theology ideas, knowledge and principles to, and engage with, professional as well as non-professional audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
7.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ As leader and in groups, applyï¿½ï¿½specialisedï¿½ï¿½Theology understanding in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement With the World
8.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Bringï¿½ï¿½enhancedï¿½ï¿½professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Development
9.ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Demonstrateï¿½ï¿½readiness for researchï¿½ï¿½at a higher level in capacity for wide reading, analytical rigour and independent thinking
$9,900 per semester for full-time (16cp) domestic students. For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Max cps per semester: 24
- Max cps in successive semesters: 40
Occupational functions of graduates
- Church leaders, pastors, and other practitioners who have consolidated their studies in their first degree in theology or ministry, having had the opportunity to concentrate on one field of study throughout the course,
- Practitioners who have developed new areas of professional and vocational expertise, having built on the foundation of their first degree in theology or ministry,
- Teachers of foundational undergraduate degree units in the graduateï¿½ï¿½ï¿½s area of specialisation.
- Ability successfully to negotiate the content and demands of a number of units in a specialised field of study in which theological insights are brought to bear upon the graduatesï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ ministry context,
- Demonstration of knowledge and competence of skills in the analysis of texts and ideas,
- Demonstration of wide reading, intellectual independence, critical thinking and analytic rigour at early postgraduate level such that the potential for research at masters level is emerging.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more
Vose SeminaryLearn more