Graduate Certificate of Pastoral Care for Mental Health
0.5Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
Course code: GCPCMH20
2Max Years Part Time
A coursework certificate at AQF level 8 which equips students with a non-theological background or theological undergraduate award with a current and advanced knowledge of pastoral care for mental health in the local church and other ministry contexts. The primary discipline units equip students with a rigorous theological framework for pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing, while the elective units integrate theological reflection with advanced skills in pastoral care. This is a specialist award that equips graduates with the specialist knowledge necessary for gospel ministry in today’s world, as well as to prepare graduates for further learning and research.
48 credit points over 0.5 years (F/T)
24 credit points in:
- PC137-812: Theological Perspectives on Mental Health; and
- PC136-812: Theological Approaches to Wellbeing
12 credit points in:
- PC135-812: Pastoral Care for those with Mental Ill-Health; OR
- IN004-812: Mental Health issues in Christian Counselling
12 credit points in specific electives, including:
- DM003-812: Disability, Theology, and Religion
- PC002-812: Pastoral Care
- PC003-812: Pastoral Skills and Methods
- PC008-812: Spiritual Formation for Professional Ministries
- PC050-812: Mentoring and Pastoral Care of Workers
- PC067-812: Spirituality for Christian Ministry
- PC093-812: Pastoral Care Field Education
- PC094-812: Practical Ministry Field Education
- PC095-812: Lay Ministry Field Education
- PC121-812: Theology for Everyday Life
- PC200-812: Pastoral & Church-Focused Ministry Project – 7,000 words
- PC204-812: Pastoral & Church-Focused Ministry Seminar
Units in this course are completed at Level 8 and above.
- Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate current and advanced knowledge and understanding of pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing in a local church and other ministry contexts
2. Examine biblical-theological frameworks for pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing that can be utilised for theological reflection in ministry practice.
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesize advanced scholarship in inquiry-based learning within the specialisation of pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing within the local church and other ministry settings.
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on advanced issues in pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing by using recognized source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions.
5. Present advanced ideas, knowledge and principles in pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing in the local church and other ministry contexts, and engage with specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats.
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. Apply advanced understanding of pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing in formal ministry contexts and in the wider community.
Engagement with the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity in issues concerning pastoral care for mental health and wellbeing to engage with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society, and the wider world.
$10,080 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2021 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
The course content is applicable to those involved in pastoral care in the local church such as the vocational ministry. It will develop the pastoral effectiveness of ministry workers in a context where mental health issues are prevalent. Upon completion of this course, students could enrol in a Graduate Diploma (AQF Level 8) or a relevant Masters Degree (AQF Level 9) for further learning.