Bachelor of Christian Studies
3Years Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
Course code: BCS20
6Max Years Part Time
- Introduces students to the sources and content of the Christian story and message, and provides training which emphasises application of this story to life in the world, including professional and vocational life.
- The course will be based on the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated:
- Bible & Languages (LA, OT, NT, BB) and
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
- It will also provide an approach to synthesising this understanding with particular occupational and/or life interests in ‘integrated studies’ (IN).
- Through elective units students can:
- Develop foundational understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History
- Develop particular ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice
288 credit points over 3 years (F/T)
- 24cps Old Testament Introduction:
- Two of OT001-512, OT002-512, OT003-512, OR
- OT003-512 and one of BB001-512, BB002-512, BB003-512
- 24cps New Testament Introduction:
- Two of NT001-512, NT002-512, NT003-512, OR
- NT003-512 and one of BB001-512, BB002-512, BB003-512
- 48cps in Christian Thought (CH/TH/PE) including at least:
- 8cps CH
- 8cps TH
- 24cps Old testament and/or New testament set books
- 12cps Independent study project that relates to the student’s non-theological area of study to the Christian faith: IN200-712
- 60cps electives from any unit field
- At least one year F/T equivalent of degree level study at an Australian University in a non-theological field of which at least 75% must form a coherent area of study: applied as 96cps.
Units in this course are completed at Level 5 and above, including 96cps advanced standing from another qualification in another discipline. Units studied in the ACT in religious studies for this qualification are 192cps, including no more than 96cps at Level 5, and including at least 72cps at Level 7 or above.
ATAR: Completion of Year 12 with an ATAR of 65 or above; OR
Previous Qualifications: Successful completion of a qualification at AQF Level 5 or above; OR
Demonstrate Academic Suitability for course: Test, Brief Essay, or Interview.
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 6.5 overall with minimum of 6.0 in each subtest OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work.
Discipline knowledge and understanding
1. Demonstrate functional knowledge and understanding of ‘Christian Studies’ as an academic discipline
2. Discuss the interaction between Christian Studies and at least one other non-theological field of knowledge and understanding
3. Apply the functional spiritual and ethical implications of Christian Studies and at least one other non-theological field of knowledge and understanding
Inquiry and analysis
4. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesize recognised scholarship in Christian Studies and other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding in inquiry-based learning
Problem solving and integration
5. Synthesize Christian Studies with at least one other non-theological field of knowledge and understanding
6. Construct evidence-based perspectives on functional issues in Christian Studies and other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding by using recognized source materials and relevant scholarly literature, evaluating alternative interpretations and drawing reasoned conclusions
7. Present functional ideas, knowledge and principles in Christian Studies and other non-theological fields of knowledge and understanding to, and engage with, different audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and professional practice
8. As leader and in groups, apply functional ‘Christian Studies’ understanding in formal ministry contexts, professional and vocational life, and the wider community
Engagement with the world
9. Engage with the functional challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous learning and professional development
10. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian, professional and vocational life and ministry
$10,320 per semester for full-time (48cp) domestic students (2022 course fees and credit points).
For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Maximum concurrent enrolment load: 60 cps
- There is a pre/co-requisite for Level 7 units: 96cps, including 36cps at Level 6
Approved for delivery at
Approval to deliver a course does not guarantee that this course will be available in a given year – please contact a college about current availability.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Chinese Theological College AustraliaLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Reformed Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity College QueenslandLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more