2022 Postgraduate Course changes
In early 2021, after a review of current course structures, in light of requirements of the Australian Qualifications Framework and recent advice from TEQSA, the Academic Board agreed to amend the structure of ACT’s posgraduate coursework courses (Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, Coursework Masters degrees and Extended Masters degrees).
The Academic Board has determined that compliance with TEQSA guidelines and best practice required the following changes:
- Change 1: Level 6 and 7 units are removed from all postgraduate programs.
- Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas to consist only of units at AQF Level 8 (or higher if a student elects to do so)
- Masters degrees (Coursework) and Masters degrees (Extended) are to only consist of units at AQF Level 8 and Level 9
- Change 2: Changes are made to Foundational Postgraduate units from AQF Level 7 to Level 8, to enable continued appropriate delivery of foundational content in postgraduate courses
- Change 3: Enable co-delivery of Foundational Postgraduate (“Category A”) units alongside Level 5 Foundational Undergraduate units
- Change 4: The introduction of new Level 9 unit type – “Advanced Studies in…”, as **206-912, to increase the range of units available to students at Level 9
- Change 5: Increasing the proportion of units taken at AQF Level 9 for Masters degrees
- Minimum of 60 cps for Coursework Masters
- Minimum of 96cps for Extended Masters
- Change 6: Adjusting the amount of advanced standing to Coursework Masters from previous theological study so that students with a bachelor degree in ministry or theology entering 2-year coursework masters degrees (MML, MICS, MA(ChrStuds), MTS) receive ‘up to 48cps’ rather than ‘up to 60cps’.
The redesign process has strengthened the academic quality of ACT’s postgraduate courses, as well as ensuring smoother transitions for students between courses – to articulate smoothly from one course to the next, or exit from a higher level qualification with a shorter exit qualification without hassle.