Graduate Diploma of Divinity
1Year Full Time
Payments Centrelink Approved
4Max Years Part Time
- Introduces graduate students to the sources and content of the Christian story and message at an advanced level, and provides training which combines articulation of this story and message with their application and practice in the contemporary world.
- The course will be based on the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated in the fields of:
- Bible & Languages (LA, OT, NT, BB)
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
- It will also include units in the disciplines by which knowledge of God is applied to guide Christian practice in the three areas of the field of Ministry and Practice:
- Evangelism & Missiology (EM)
- Pastoral & Church Focused Ministry (PC)
- Developmental Ministry (DM)
- Through elective units students can:
- Develop understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History
- Develop particular ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice
32 credit points over 1 year (F/T)
- Units in BB and/or OT and/or NT (from BB501, BB504, BB505, OT501, OT502, NT501, NT502): 8 cps
- Christian Thought & History (CH, PE, TH): 4 cps
- From any unit field: 20 cps
Units in this course are completed at 500/600 level.
Notice of changing course
This page reflects the current course structure.
This course is changing in 2020. From 1/1/2020, the course will require 12cps (“36cps” in new 2020 credit point structure) of units at Level 8.
- All units completed prior to the end of 2019 at 600 level are deemed equivalent to Level 8.
- Students entering the course in 2019 who continue into 2020 and beyond will need to complete 12cps (“36cps” in 2020 credit point system) at Level 8 or the remainder of the credit points required for their course at level 8, whichever is lower.
- Students who have are already entered the program in 2018 or earlier are hereby advised that the course structure is changing as outlined above. If these students maintain continuous enrolment of at least one unit per semester from the start of 2019 onwards and continue into 2020, they are entitled to continue under the regulations which they started their course until the end of 2020 as a transitional arrangement (no requirement for Level 8 units). If they are not completed by the end of 2020 or at any point in time during 2020 they fail to maintain continuous enrolment, and continue into 2021 or beyond, these students will need to complete 36cps at Level 8 or the remainder of the credit points required for their course at level 8, whichever is lower.
Academic Qualifications: bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in country experience
Mature Age Entry: none
This course is registered on CRICOS and is available to overseas students.
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date advanced knowledge and understanding of selected fields of ‘Divinity’
2. Examine the biblical, theological and ministry foundations of Divinity
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesize advanced Divinity scholarship in inquiry-based learning
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on advanced Divinity issues by using recognized source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions
5. Present advanced Divinity ideas, knowledge and principles to, and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. As leader and in groups, apply advanced understanding of Divinity in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement With the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
8. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian ministry
$9,120 per semester for full-time (16cp) domestic students. For more information about tuition fees, FEE-HELP, and student payments, view tuition fees.
- Max cps per semester: 20
- Only specified pre-requisites apply to units in the Graduate Diploma of Divinity. The pre/co-requisites listed for Master of Divinity units do not apply to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Divinity.
- A maximum of 12 cps may be taken in Type B elective units.
- A maximum of 16 cps may be studied in DSC mode, including no more than 8 cps in any one field of study.
- Ability to interpret and critically evaluate the biblical deposit, especially those books which have played a crucial role in the development of the Christian tradition, with a comprehensive knowledge of their original context and their major themes and ideas,
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of and ability to exegete biblical texts in their original language(s),
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the major theological tenets of the Christian faith which underpin any coherent theological world view and philosophy of ministry,
- Skills in at least one area of pastoral ministry,
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the historical conditions under which theological worldviews have developed and are being shaped today,
- Openness to the tradition of published scholarship and the diversity of viewpoints which characterise that scholarship in the various fields of the discipline of theology as essential to understanding and respecting the discipline and as an integral part of the preparation for communicating the Christian tradition and contributing to the on-going enterprise of the community of scholars in the articulation and actualisation of the Christian faith.
Bible College SALearn more
Brisbane School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Christ CollegeLearn more
Malyon Theological CollegeLearn more
Melbourne School of TheologyLearn more
New South Wales
Morling CollegeLearn more
Presbyterian Theological CollegeLearn more
Queensland Theological CollegeLearn more
Reformed Theological CollegeLearn more
Ridley CollegeLearn more
New South Wales
Sydney Missionary & Bible CollegeLearn more
Trinity Theological CollegeLearn more
Vose SeminaryLearn more